Wo Shi Laowai – Wo Pa Shui

This Blog was Invented in Xi'an 5,000 Years Ago

The ‘Half-Educated’…

Posted by MyLaowai on Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I had an appointment to meet this guy last night. Young guy, intelligent, well-educated. He was a couple of minutes late, and offered his apologies thus:

Him: “Sorry I’m late, I was eating dinner at an Italian restaurant.”

Me: “Oh yeah? Have you eaten Italian before?”

Him: “No, it was the first time. I don’t like it.”

Me: “Why not?”

Him: “Because I am a Chinese, so we shouldn’t like other countries’ food.”

Me: “I understand. I also don’t like Chinese food because I am not Chinese.”

Him: “But Chinese has many foods and is very good food. We have all good foods.”

And on it goes. The problem, you see, is that these people are Educated With Chinese Characteristics. That’s a fancy way of saying that, starting age two, they are told that they and their ‘culture’ are superior to anything else in the world. Other countries are only more developed because of a conspiracy by every other nation to keep China from assuming it’s rightful place as Hegemon of the World. And they really do believe it, deep down in that tiny black heart of theirs. Some people I know go on about how China is getting better – they are wrong. It is getting worse, fast. The level of extreme nationalism is already high, and there are many days I feel like a Jew in 1936 Germany. There’s trouble coming, and it’s being planned at the highest levels. Getting the ‘People’ fired up, resentful, and hating foreigners is only one part of it.

Just remember: Hitler got his Olympics, too.

Advertisements

4 Responses to “The ‘Half-Educated’…”

  1. Mariner said

    The parallels between Nazi Germany and the ‘peaceful’ rise of the red Nazi’s in Beijing are indeed striking. Just like in Germany the most dangerous people are the half-educated.
    And don’t be fooled by their continuously referring to their ancient ‘culture’. All that is left from that, is some rewritten history. The only culture you will find here nowadays is rampant greed, corruption, cronyism, and a few super strains of the clap.

  2. Meursault said

    Whenever you move into a new house (it will inevitably be full of rubbish that the previous occupant can’t be bothered to throw out), always check for children’s primary school books that might have been left behind. These books contain fascinating insights. I once found a politics book aimed at five year olds which asked if the Statue of Liberty was truly a symbol of freedom. All three multiple choice answers all said it wasn’t.

  3. Um…why do you live in China? Just asking.

  4. mylaowai said

    If you mean me, then it’s because I have a great girl here, a reasonably successful business, a huge liquor cabinet, and a great life too.

    ’tis a bit of a dichotomy, really. I hate 90% of everything I see here, but the other 10% more than makes up for it. I live better here than I’ve ever lived anywhere before. I’m one of the lucky ones, though – most people can’t take it any more after just a couple of years, and leave vowing never to return. Those are the ones who spend the most time bleating how great and cultural everything is here. Cynical bastards like myself simply learn to lower our expectation levels, in order not to be constantly disappointed when the Chinese act like, well, like Chinese.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: